Welcome to the 2016 Making It In Michigan Conference and Marketplace Trade Show – Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at the Lansing Center.
This year’s theme is “Taste The Future - Cultivating Forward Thinking Strategies For Long Term Success.”
Have an idea for a food business? You can interact with the Product Center Team and thriving Michigan food businesses and learn how to make your idea a viable reality.
Have a product developed and need distribution channels? Exhibit your product in front of hundreds of key Michigan food and agricultural buyers at the Marketplace trade show.
Want to learn more about making your business more efficient and profitable? Our educational sessions concentrate on different business stages and cover strategies for the following:
The one-day event features morning educational sessions that will concentrate on different business stages and cover strategies for the following:
- Proof of Concept
- Keys to FSMA compliance in putting together your food safety plan
- Preparing for sound record keeping
- Branding your product and marketing your image
Starting Your Business
- Regulatory and licensing for the beginning food entrepreneur
- Farmers markets – what do they offer to my business
- Growing Your Business
- Making sense of social media and other communication innovations jargon
- Becoming retailer savvy to meet customer needs
- Financing beyond the bank loan – alternative choices
The Mature Business
- Determining if imports and exports will be a good fit for your food business
- Navigating legal issues in hiring employees
This year’s keynote speaker is Mike Busley, owner of Grand Traverse Pie Company. Mike will discuss the company’s 20-year history and how his family has influenced decisions and played a role in its success and future plans. Mike and his wife Denise have 15 Grand Traverse Pie shops across Michigan and Indiana supported by a grand group of over 300 pie people.
If you are a food or agricultural entrepreneur, producer, buyer, and processor, you don’t want to miss this day!
Making it in Michigan MSU Product Center Conference
The Product Center Team is proud to present an exciting agenda including:
- Leading industry keynote speaker session
- Practical, hands-on educational classes on launching or expanding your business and preparing you for the road ahead in regulations safety, production, marketing and reaching the right markets.
- Direct access to the Product Center Team members and Innovation Counselors
Early registration for the conference is $85.00 and in addition to the educational sessions includes breakfast, lunch, digital copies of all presentations and reference materials as well as the Marketplace Trade Show. On November 1, 2016 the conference registration fee goes up to $100.00 per person.
Marketplace Trade Show – FREE General Admission
If you are a new or existing business trying to find the right customers and expand your markets, the Marketplace trade show is a must for your business success. As the trade show continues to grow at record levels, we anticipate over 200 vendors in 2016. In addition, Meijer will be using the ninth annual Making It In Michigan Marketplace Trade Show to establish their 2017 selection of Michigan-made products for more than 100 stores across the state.